What to buy
How to cook
- Marinate the white fish with egg whites, white pepper and a pinch of salt
- Let it sit for 30 minutes
- Pour out any water (if fish was frozen) and remaining egg whites from the fish
- Mix in some starch to gently coat the fish
- Heat up a wok, add in oil
- When oil is hot, throw in some slices of ginger and fry till they’re browning
- Toss in the fish, fry till edges are brown
- Pour in the cream of corn
- Add more water + starch as necessary, depending how watery you want the soup to be
- Cook for about five minutes
How to eat
- Pour over white rice, mix and eat together
About the author
Jason Li is a Hong Kong-based cartoonist and designer. He is the author of The House on Horse Mountain, an upcoming graphic novel about a young girl growing up in a bygone Hong Kong of the 1960s, and creator of Add Oil Comics, a social advocacy webcomic. Integrating elements of social science, illustration and social media, his works have been appeared at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Asian Art Museum, on the BBC, and on the radio in Spain.
Follow him on:
Or learn more about him from his personal website.
Let us know if you'd like prints, bags or clothes based on any of the above illustrations.
In the meantime, check out what else is on offer at
our online store.