What to buy
How to cook
- If mushrooms are dried, soak them in water overnight
- Wash everything
- Boil/simmer the pork and dried oysters in water for a minute to wash them (separately or together)
- Boil a big pot of water (use mushroom soaking water if you were soaking them)
- Toss in a few slices of ginger
- Toss in all the ingredients save the hair vegetable
- Slow boil for 1-2 hours, add water if necessary (water should cover ingredients and then some at all times)
- Add hair vegetable half an hour before the end
How to eat
- Slurp up the soup
- Eat the hair vegetable, mushrooms
- Optional: eat some of the dried oysters
- Probably not but you can if you want: eat the lean pork meat
- Hair vegetable (髮菜 faat3 coi3) is a pun on getting rich (發財 faat3 coi4). In other words, this soup will make you rich. Probably.
About the author
Jason Li is a Hong Kong-based cartoonist and designer. He is the author of The House on Horse Mountain, an upcoming graphic novel about a young girl growing up in a bygone Hong Kong of the 1960s, and creator of Add Oil Comics, a social advocacy webcomic. Integrating elements of social science, illustration and social media, his works have been appeared at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Asian Art Museum, on the BBC, and on the radio in Spain.
Follow him on:
Or learn more about him from his personal website.
Let us know if you'd like prints, bags or clothes based on any of the above illustrations.
In the meantime, check out what else is on offer at
our online store.