What to buy
- Soak the cloud ear fungus at least a few hours before in room temperature water so it expands
- Marinate the pork in soy sauce, salt, sugar, white pepper, potato starch and then add a drizzle of oil. Mix loosely throughout
How to cook
- Heat up a wok, then add some oil
- After the oil is hot, add some slices of ginger, fry till browning
- Toss in the pork, cook till edges are a brown
- Add in some of the Chinese pickled cabbage (preferably cut up into small pieces) along with some cooking alcohol
- Add in some rock sugar to counterbalance the saltiness of the cabbage
- Sprinkle in some soy sauce
- Add some water to slow cook for about an hour so that the meat becomes tender. Taste test and add more salt/sugar as needed
- When it’s already ready, toss in the fried tofu cubes and stir in to cook for a few minutes
About the author
Jason Li is a Hong Kong-based cartoonist and designer. He is the author of The House on Horse Mountain, an upcoming graphic novel about a young girl growing up in a bygone Hong Kong of the 1960s, and creator of Add Oil Comics, a social advocacy webcomic. Integrating elements of social science, illustration and social media, his works have been appeared at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Asian Art Museum, on the BBC, and on the radio in Spain.
Follow him on:
Or learn more about him from his personal website.
Let us know if you'd like prints, bags or clothes based on any of the above illustrations.
In the meantime, check out what else is on offer at
our online store.