What to buy
- Chicken wings!
How to cook
- Marinate the chicken with soy sauce, salt, white pepper, sugar, starch, a bit of shaoxing wine and a bit of oil
- Heat wok
- Add oil to wok
- When hot, add in slices of ginger
- Stir fry for a while, then add in the sliced shallots
- Stir fry for a while, then toss in the chicken wings
- Right after pour in a bit of rose essence liquor (or failing that some shaoxing wine)
- Stir around for a while
- Close the lid on the wok and cook on a medium flame for 10 or so minutes. Make sure not to burn the chicken and add more water if it’s all dried up. Open the lid and stir the chicken around in the wok if it’s getting stuck to the bottom (if necessary)
About the author
Jason Li is a Hong Kong-based cartoonist and designer. He is the author of The House on Horse Mountain, an upcoming graphic novel about a young girl growing up in a bygone Hong Kong of the 1960s, and creator of Add Oil Comics, a social advocacy webcomic. Integrating elements of social science, illustration and social media, his works have been appeared at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Asian Art Museum, on the BBC, and on the radio in Spain.
Follow him on:
Or learn more about him from his personal website.
Let us know if you'd like prints, bags or clothes based on any of the above illustrations.
In the meantime, check out what else is on offer at
our online store.